TuxScreen on SourceForge TuxScreen CVS search the Wiki
Browsing -> Wiki -> Main -> [AndrewYourtchenko]
edit, info, topics, orphans, hubs and nodes, or recent changes in the Wiki create a new user or login


Long time did not do too much with the tuxes, but given that 1st of may holiday produced a real long weekend here (4 days:) I decided to revive the work. Given that I kind of liked the "primary" use of tux as a phone - I wanted to add the VoIP capabilities to it. Which indeed requires the modification of the audio path. I wired all the stuff and tried. no sound at all. Too bad. Due to some weird thought I decided to recompile the newer buildroot - thus wiping awai the old one. The new buildroot has compiled (after a few hacks) but seemed like ls would not show directory listings. likewise all of the other stuff that relies on search with in the dir would fail. I recompiled it with 2.95 toolchain instead of 3 - seems to work now.

The trouble with the sound turned out to be purely hardware stupid mistake. All of the docs about shanip talk about connecting the external wires. almost none talks about connecting the pin VDDA2 to the pin VDDA1 (which I presume is going to +3.3V. The source of truth was ShanIP232 page's pictures.

after fixing that, I went ahead with compiling openh323 libs. the pwlib was quite a beast to compile - giving some obscure error messages at first. After some searching I've found a reference that PWLIB was not GCC3-complliant (??? I have 2.95???) accompanying the question with the same error msgs that I had. So I patched the thing by hand - and now I'm a happy owner of the arm-runnable ohphone instance :)

Too bad that the whole thing needs to run off the NFS linux mount - as the openh323 libs are _huge_. So, since I wanted to have a really standalone box, I've gone to order an IBM microdrive. 1GB. yikes :) if that works.....

Will post more as it arrives and I try it out. If it works then most probably I'll just run the whole XFree on the box, and make the user interface in something like tcl/tk or maybe crosscompile perl and make perl/tk :)


I got hold of Xircom ethernet card PS-CE2-10 (Ethernet IIps). on the default linux install it refused to work, complaining about bad Vcc.

So, today finally I installed the build server (RedHat 7.2, just from the stock CDs - did not go for later, since i have only 2G drive on this old 586mmx box), and got the buildroot from the cvs.

One small note - now the buildroot kit seems to also suck the toolchain & build it - so it ate half a gig of the precious disk space, and it took almost 2 hrs to compile - if not more ;)

It compiled almost perfectly. One small thing - while compiling uclibc, it complained about an undefined variable in printf.c. I went into the file and saw that the variable in fact was being defined, but due to the strange #ifdef condition there (the second one about the locale was not defined), it did not get into the compilation. So I removed the second ifdef - everything compiled PERFECTLY! so far no X, just the console - since the main intent was to hack the network drivers to make them run.

I had to hack cs1100_shannon.c in the linux drivers tree to set the value for the 3.3 voltage to "0".

One note about flashing - currently seems to be a bug if you do not do "erase ramdisk" before doing "xdownload ramdisk" and "flash ramdisk". i did not do this stuff the first time and the result was that the kernel would boot but then there were some register dumps scrolling on the screen until reboot.

So, now both Xircom and Aironet seem to work fine - I've tested the pings with xircom and they work. Aironet gets recognized but I don't have the access point at home to test.

more to follow... ;)


I've got the TuxScreen quite a while ago, but had been lazy to work out the power supply part - since I'm in europe. Luckily it turned out to be a pretty easy thing.

The linux install went fast and smooth. I'll post some more info as I progress further...

SourceForge Content of these pages are owned and copyrighted by the poster. SourceForge